Saturday, December 12, 2009

Blogging About Work

Blogging about work needs to be done cautiously, if at all. On the one hand, blogging positively about life in the foreign service is probably okay. Blogging about what you're doing in the office is likely frowned upon in most instances. But hey, y'all know I'm working, right? And I'm actually really enjoying it, except for when I'm not. The people I work with are, for the most part, obnoxiously smart, funny, hard-working people. I'm no dummy, but I'm usually feeling about 10 steps behind as I listen to them go about their workdays. I've been off-and-on part-time in the same section for most of the year, and they've given me lots of interesting stuff to do. Mostly writing projects, which I like because I can sit at my desk and research and type and not go out into the real world of meeting people. The learning curve is steep: the office is so busy that they just throw projects at me and let me flail around until I figure it out or come slinking back to ask sheepishly for advice. Usually I figure it out, eventually.

And that's really all I'm comfortable saying about my job for now. Still and all, I thought I'd link you to this interesting report that is now available online, straight outta Beijing. It must have been a lot of work to research, compile, update, etc. I mean, it looks like it, anyway. But how would I know?

1 comments:

Jessica said... [Reply]

So sly you are.

Fantastic work and so glad you're enjoying the gig. Seems like a perfect fit. Nice when all the pieces fall into place.

I know what you mean about blogging about work. I actually password protected my blog and now I feel alot more free to talk about some of the work stuff I deal with here. And, it keeps future DC employers from reading about my pregnancy misadventures. A win-win all around, I think.

Please. Write your own stuff.