Thursday, November 5, 2009

You Know What I Hate?

I hate when I start writing a post, something about the craziness that is shopping for clothes in Beijing's local markets, and my computer suddenly crashes, taking my draft with it.

I hate when I make a special trip to a specific restaurant, where they have promised to sell me some fresh beets, which I plan to turn into the most fabulous borsch, but when I get there to pick up the beets, it turns out they are mushy and bad.

I hate when I have an article due in 24 hours, and it's done, but I don't quite like the ending, and I haven't a clue how to fix it.

I hate when I go to lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday, only to discover that this time I'm the idiot who forgot to stop at the bank on the way to the restaurant and I don't have enough money.

I hate when it's so cold that the windows freeze shut, but there are STILL mosquitoes flying around.

I hate when the air is thick with coal dust and my poor son can't stop coughing.

I hate when I've called three times to get the back door repaired, and now they finally agree that yes, it's broken, and no, it can't be fixed, so it'll have to be replaced... maybe tomorrow.

Those are all things that I hate. But do you know what? I had a really, really nice day today. Because there are a million more things that I love.

3 comments:

A said... [Reply]

I once was reduced to asking at the RG front desk, "Does 'maybe tomorrow' in English really mean something else in Mandarin?" I was the hysterical western woman on more than one occasion.

Connie said... [Reply]

I have started using windows live writer (came with my computer) to write my blog off line. I have much fewer lost drafts this way.

Stephanie said... [Reply]

My country doesn't have ATMs so if you forget to go to the cashier on Friday, you are screwed for cash for the weekend. Because no hotel or restaurant here takes credit cards. That's one of the biggest frustrations for me.

I just found your blog through a series of other blogs. I'm enjoying it!

Please. Write your own stuff.