Friday, November 20, 2009

Please Explain...

Today I was driving home along the 4th Ring Road, which was backed up because of a 2-taxi crash on the side road. As I approached the crash, I could see a smashed taxi up on a tow truck, and bunches of people standing around, staring. But it wasn't on my road, so why was traffic moving so slowly?

Up ahead was the problem - a guy in a black Mercedes, slowing to a crawl in the lane in front of me. Was he rubbernecking at the crash? No. Was he trying to pull off the highway? Because that's a common move: if you miss your exit, you stop and back up. But no, he wasn't trying to back up. He was just... talking on his cell phone. That's right, he was having a very important conversation, so he brought his Mercedes to a complete stop in the middle of the 4th Ring in order to focus on his conversation.

It took every ounce of self-control in my body to NOT scrape down the side of his shiny Mercedes as I squeezed by. Can anyone out there please explain the mindset that allows people do such selfish, boneheaded things? I've been here for over two years, and I still can't figure out why people think it's okay to drive this way. But they do, and they get away with it.

It's a mystery why there aren't any road rage shootings in Beijing...

3 comments:

momcat said... [Reply]

And not to mention it being dangerous to completely stop in defiance of road rules. Where are the cops when you need them?

globalgal said... [Reply]

I've seen this so many times I can't even count. I've even seen two cars stopped in the middle of a road while the two drivers chat, meanwhile all the cars behind them blare their horns. It truly BOGGLES the mind, doesn't it!?

Connie said... [Reply]

I admit to being a horn blower in such situations... although I am rabidly anti-horn otherwise. I figure if someone is rude enough to stop and talk right in front of me and prevent me from moving, I might as well lay on the horn and prevent them from hearing. Fortunately, in such situations, I have never(!) found myself alone in the noise making brigade.

Please. Write your own stuff.