Sunday, November 1, 2009

November 1st

Happy day-after-Halloween to all. I'm currently a bit over-sugared, as I've been sharing (errr, stealing, actually) my kids' candy.

We had over 500 kids show up last night. I ran out of candy within an hour. I made the last 25 pieces last another hour, as I only pretended to drop them into bags, when actually I just reached in and kind of smacked the sides of the bags. I know, I know - but I didn't want to blow out the candles and lock the door at 6:30. That seemed somehow more wrong than handing out tricks instead of treats.

Shay had a soccer tournament scheduled that afternoon, so we missed all of the pre-trick-or-treat festivities. Who schedules a tournament on All Hallow's Eve, anyway? Brits, that's who. I guess Shay's British coaches don't trick or treat. His team came in second, after which he grabbed his medal and dashed home.

Aidan's tournament was scheduled for this morning, and he was so excited to play. Except - we awoke to a blanket of snow. It snowed all morning - unusual for Beijing - so we stayed in and ate candy. No soccer for poor Aidan, who reallyreally wanted that medal. The snow has finally stopped, but it's cold and wet out there, so I say: keep eating candy! No need to set foot outside. And does anyone know if Starbucks delivers?

I've already made dinner (lentil and barley soup, for the curious among you), and even cooked up some spicy Chinese fried peanuts, just to offset the sugar calories. I'm pretty sure I've hit 3500 calories, and it isn't even 3 p.m.

Whatever. One of the nice things about living in this crazy expat compound is that we can do things like this with our kids. Nowhere else have we experienced such an amazing Halloween. I guess it's because the Americans have basically taken over our compound. Everyone knows it, so people bus and drive kids in from all over to trick-or-treat. Fine with me - except when the kids don't bother to put on a costume. That ticks me off a little. I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, but it is fun to see my kids get costumed up and race around the neighborhood. I'll miss this, next year. Hopefully our next post has some good holiday traditions in place.

And hopefully, whereever we end up next has not-too-many snow days. Though they do make for some nice photos...





5 comments:

Betsy said... [Reply]

Great pictures! We had hardly any trick or treaters. I was bummed and have a bag of candy to send in with my husband when he goes to work tomorrow.

How do you make your peanuts? My children are crazy about peanuts, but I other than sauces, I have never cooked them.

Donna said... [Reply]

@Betsy - I don't really have a recipe for the peanuts. Just take raw, shelled peanuts and put them in a skillet with a little bit of oil (peanut or canola). Cook them over medium heat - too high and they'll burn. Stir frequently. When the peanuts start to make a popping noise, they're done (pull one out and try it - but let it cool briefly first). Sprinkle with chili pepper and salt (I use a tiny bit of turmeric, too, but you don't have to).

Jessica said... [Reply]

Our consumables shipment arrived on Saturday and along with at box of 60 some Rice Krispie Treats -- definitely a Costco impulse buy but perfect for Halloween. I took them to a party and ate about half of them myself. Mmmmmmm

Connie said... [Reply]

We didn't have trick-or-treaters, as we live out in town and not on a compound, but the Embassy and school had great parties and events for the kids. :) Apparently the local museum hosted trick-or-treating, but we didn't go. Maybe we'll check it out next year. Love the snow pictures! Our kids are hoping for at least a little snow this year!

C said... [Reply]

Wonderful pictures! I can't believe you had 500 kids, WOW!

Please. Write your own stuff.