Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

The kids are in school - it's not a holiday here, after all. My husband is home, but he's sick. The girls are out playing with Xiao Tong. And I am supposed to be using this time to get started on my feast. We have several families joining us tonight, so there's lots to cook.

Yesterday, they talked about Thanksgiving in Aidan's American Studies class. They went around the room and each child said aloud what he was thankful for. Dear, sweet Aidan, who has so many blessings in his life, thought of this particular one: "I'm thankful," he said, "that my dog had puppies."

His dog. His ancient, male, neutered dog. Had puppies? And this is what he was thankful for.

We'll have to work up a better list when he gets home from school today.

I am thankful for so many things, but I'm too superstitious to put them in print. I know, though, that I am a very fortunate woman.

And with that, I'm off to cook. Turkey, dressing, potatoes, green beans. I already made the veggie dip, the purple fruit dip, the citrus salsa (no fresh cranberries here, alas) and the fudge. Someone else is bringing salad and pie.

I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my loved ones and friends across the globe. Be warm, be fed, be with family and be grateful for it all.

5 comments:

Betsy said... [Reply]

Aidan's comment is so cute. It sounds like something my little guy would say.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Deborah said... [Reply]

um,where's the gravy tip? ps, brining is a pain! this better be worth it. hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, tell the kids we miss them and we will come to see the puppies soon. :p

Shannon said... [Reply]

You are a smarter woman than me! I kept the kids home because it is the oldest's last Thanksgiving at home and i wanted a real family holiday. I should not make decisions after I have had a glass of wine. They are loud whiney and in the way. Next year they go to school! Back to the kitchen.

C said... [Reply]

Happy Thanksgiving!

Connie said... [Reply]

Happy Thanksgiving (a bit late) to you and yours, and even the puppies ;)

Please. Write your own stuff.