Thursday, September 3, 2009

Work/Life Balance: Day One

Today was my first day back at the Embassy. I have a new, very interesting project, and a new-to-Beijing boss.

I met my boss, chatted about her expectations, and carried a huge stack of reading materials to my desk to get started.

I sat down and started to read.

After about two hours of reading, during which time I managed to make only the slightest dent in the pile, the phone rang. It was the school, calling to tell me Aidan had a fever, and I needed to come get him right away. So I had to go tell new boss that I would be leaving early. On my first day. With a huge project looming ahead.

She was very nice about it, but I'm pretty sure she's wondering what kind of a half-rate employee they've foisted on her.

I didn't even mention that the school policy pretty much dictates that Aidan can't go back to school tomorrow - you have to be fever-free for 24 hours without medication in order to return to school.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking new boss is not spending her afternoon writing up a commendation for Employee of the Year for me.

And that, my friends, is how work/life balance is achieved. Or, you know, not.

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.