Monday, September 28, 2009

In Which I Bore You With the Details of My Day

Ahem. So... now that I've hooked you in with that stellar title, let's get started, shall we?

Today was my second-to-last day of work. I turned in my project on Friday, actually, so today mostly consisted of sitting at my desk waiting while my boss read all 100-plus pages and occasionally shot an email question my way. Tomorrow I anticipate more of the same, with a few google searches on all sorts of crazy topics that I cannot believe I am learning about for my day job. This has been a super-interesting project, so part of me is sad to wrap it up tomorrow, but part of me is relieved to get a break. Of course it isn't much of a break because...

Wednesday happens to be the last day of school for awhile. It's National Week here in China, and this one's particularly big, because they're celebrating the 60th anniversary of the founding of communist China. I think I mentioned they're having a big parade, with tanks and soldiers and nuclear warheads. They didn't invite me, or else my invite got lost in the mail, so it looks like I'll be watching the parade like the rest of the riff-raff, on television. I don't think we'll be going anywhere either, because roads will be closed and things could get crazy. Well, and why not close the roads, just to match the internet? Everyone keeps saying they'll open up again and stop blocking Facebook, blogger, etc. after the holiday, but personally? I kind of doubt it.

But I digress. This is about my day. My wonderful, exciting day. So what else can I tell you?

That's pretty much it, really. Went home again, played with the kids, filled out my paperwork to get my VAT tax back, stared at internet pictures of beaches I'd like to go to over the winter break, read post reports for countries I'd like to live in, played with the kids, ate dinner, put everyone to bed...

All of which goes to show you: you plunk a working mom down in the middle of a foreign country, and her life is going to be just about the same as it was back in the good ole US of A.

I'll aim to have a more interesting update later in the week. Promise.

1 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Sometimes, boring is the best kind of day to have. A plain ol' regular day. Happy sigh...

Please. Write your own stuff.