Monday, August 17, 2009

My Life - An Ordinary Day

Spent the morning at one of the big grocery stores in town, showing a newcomer around.

Realized I forgot some basic Chinese words while on vacation: things like "blue" and "white."

Realized "blue" and "white" are key words to know when helping newcomer find blue and white blankets. Would probably help to know the word for "blanket," too.

Also didn't know the Chinese word for the dish drainer thingee you put in the sink so your dishes can drain dry. But apparently I don't know the word for that in English, either.

Discovered that when you're walking around with a six-foot-tall black woman in a Chinese grocery store, loaded down with white and blue blankets, people will just stop and stare, open-mouthed.

Made a new friend, I think.

Also made pumpkin bread and soda bread for my little shindig tomorrow.

Discovered that my little shindig has become like a high school kegger - people I don't even know are telling me they plan to stop by.

Wonder if I need more soda bread?

Too late; I'm off to bed.

2 comments:

The Johnsons said... [Reply]

Really, really cute. I can relate to so much of what your saying! Good stuff. Thanks for posting!

Connie said... [Reply]

Too funny. Yes, it is hard to shop for something when you do not know what to call it in ANY language ;D An added dimension of difficulty - in Egypt - was the store owners/staff were always so darned sweet and eager to help (and only partly to make a profit... wanting to help is inherent to the culture, remember that when stopping for directions. They'll 'help' you even if they don't know the right answer!) Anyway, long after I would give up, the staff would still be trying to convince me that they knew what I needed, or knew someone several stores down who knew, or... :D

Please. Write your own stuff.