Monday, May 18, 2009

Tragedy on the High Seas

Aidan's kindergarten class had a field trip last week, and boy-oh-boy was it ever exciting. First they went on a bus! All together! To the Blue Zoo! And there were sharks and eels and fishies and even a mermaid! (pretty sure that last one was a person swimming in the aquarium, but whatever.) After that, they had a picnic! With snacks! Two snacks! (I know there were two because I packed the snacks, and he told me for days in advance that it was imperative everyone bring TWO snacks! Two!) After that, they went to the fish market, where the kids chose new fish for the classroom aquariums! He and Timothy chose TWO fish! Two! And they named them.... are you ready for this? They named them "Big Taxi" and "Little Truck" (insert lots of exclamation points here!!!)
 
So that was Friday. He returned to school this morning, only to find that one of his fish had, tragically, expired. And then, as if that weren't bad enough, the other one leapt out of the tank, bashed its head open, and died. Right there before his very eyes. This was a tragedy of monumental proportions. Two fish, his only fish, over whom he was supposed to watch for the rest of the school year, and both tragically died on his very first day as caretaker, one an apparent suicide.
 
I listened to the whole story with the kind of empathy only a mother can muster. And then I made the mistake of trying to talk. I was curious, you see, which fish had leapt to its doom. And so, with my best sad face, I said, "I'm so sorry that happened, Aidan. Tell me again, was it Big Taxi or Little Truck who jumped out of the tank?"
 
And then, gentle reader... I burst out laughing. Because honestly, who names a fish "Big Truck"? Or "Little Taxi," for that matter? Do fish names really need adjectives?
 
And when I started laughing, Shay started laughing. Soon enough, even Aidan joined in, though I'm not sure he understood why it was so gut-wrenchingly, uproariously funny.
 
Rest in Peace, Big Taxi.
 
Same to You, Little Truck.
 
We hardly knew thee....
 


2 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

As the mother of a kindergartner I had to laugh too... then read this to my kindergartner's father so he could share the fun. You definitely nailed a kindergartner's enthusiasm about the field trip. With my daughter, riding the school bus to get somewhere is as much a part of the fun as the site to be seen. Instead of exclaiming over snacks last outing, my daughter had to tell every one that the teacher had said to make sure and bring two drinks (it's very hot here)... but she already brings TWO drinks - every day!

I have to say, I like the fish names your son's class picked better than the fish's name in Honor's class... Slimy.
Anyway... RIP Big Taxi and Little Truck. :( If you want to get Aidan his own fish in a bowl, I recommend a Betta (Siamese fighting) fish. We have one in a bowl on our table... it lived its first year with us eating table scraps as I couldn't find proper food here. He's nearly 2 years old and a good fish, interactive, and always interesting to watch.

Jenn said... [Reply]

Poor fish...funny story! : )

Please. Write your own stuff.