Friday, May 8, 2009

Mosquito Season

Winter is gone, Spring has flown by and here we are, entering Summer already. You can tell summer is here because the mosquitoes have arrived, and it’s time to put new batteries in the tennis rackets.

Seriously. They sell these tennis racket-like devices that you use to kill mosquitoes. Put a couple of AA batteries in them, press a button and aim for a mosquito. It fries the mosquito instantly, and it’s a enormously satisfying way to spend a summer evening in your house. It turns even the most mild-mannered person into a cackling freak. I definitely plan on bringing some rackets back home next year.

It’s been a busy month, with work and kids and work and kids and work and… (sleep, every so often)… and kids and, well, at the end of the day, I’m just too exhausted to update you all.

But my dirty little secret? Going to work is a heck of a lot easier than staying home. It’s quiet; it’s organized; I have a definite, achievable goal in mind; no one calls me a “dummy” or a “meanie”… the list goes on. The hardest part of the day is the transition between the two places. Leaving in the morning isn’t so bad, as the boys are already out the door for school and the girls are preoccupied with Xiao Tong’s arrival. Coming home is trickier: the boys arrive just before me, and want to tell me all about their day. Or, alternately, the boys don’t arrive just before me and I have no idea where they’ve gone (typical of Aidan, who last night didn’t walk in the door until 6:30, and then was surprised when I chewed him out). The girls are all smiles and ready to head out to the playground. They don’t even want to wait for me to change out of my work clothes.

All in all, though, I have to say I’m enjoying work. It’s nice to be writing and know for certain that I’ll be paid for what I’m doing. And it’s interesting and grown-uppy and all that. So I’ll keep going until school lets out, when I’ll need to focus my attention back on the little ones.

The big news of the week is that Ainsley turned one, and like moms everywhere, I had to ask: how’d that happen so fast? But it did, and my little baby girl has poked her first molar through and is on the verge of walking. She claps, she waves, and she holds out her hand, palm upturned, when she wants something to eat. Her eyes might be hazel, her hair might be blonde, but even though she’s a year old, nothing’s certain yet.

This weekend should be busy, with kiddie birthday parties and soccer games and even a Cinco de Mayo party. And, of course, a bit of mosquito tennis.

from 2008...





...to 2009






2 comments:

Connie said... [Reply]

Adorable photos! Happy mother's day :)

I love the idea of mosquito rackets! To help in our war, I bought a dozen small, fuzzy-cloth ornaments (cat fairies) and hung them in each room - usually from the light or ceiling fan. I mix mosquito repelling essential oils (patchoulli, geranium, citronella, lemongrass, etc) and put several drops on each 'cat' every few weeks. It seems to help, and smells nice too.

Kamara Afi said... [Reply]

I hate to even say this because it makes me seem so OLD. I remember when she was born. I really Shay telling the class about it during Morning Meeting!! Time does fly!

Please. Write your own stuff.