Thursday, April 9, 2009

As If I Don't Already Have Enough to Do...

... now I have a job.

I was just hired on as a sort of a temporary roving employee at the Embassy. Basically, whenever they have projects that need doing on any of the main cones (Political, Public Diplomacy, Econ), they can call me and offer me the project. If I like it, I take it.

My first offer was to help out in the Political section, working with the Human Rights people. How cool is that? It's part-time through May, so I took it. I start Tuesday.

My security clearance is being updated, so those of you who know me in real life might get a visit from a federal agent type. Meanwhile, I went to the Embassy for my security briefing, and now I can go to my husband's office whenever I feel like it! (Previously, as an uncleared American, I wasn't allowed to enter the building.)

I have all sorts of stuff to do to get ready for work, like getting work clothes tailored and freezing some meals for my first week. But I suspect none of it will get done, because the boys have half days today and tomorrow (teacher conferences) and I have to turn in some article edits to an editor by week's end.

People work and raise kids all the time, right?

Right?

8 comments:

GutsyWriter said... [Reply]

Did you apply for the job? I know you're busy with 4 small kids. Are you looking forward to it? Is there a shortage of staff?

Connie said... [Reply]

I really miss working. I miss the job, I miss the people. It was hard to quit. But traffic here means the Embassy is an hour (most of the time) away from our home. Eight hour days would be a minimum of 10... and who keeps an 8 hour day?? I thought about going to part-time, but I knew I would be too weak.. one more hour, just one more hour...

One of these days, when the kids don't need or want as much in the afternoons, or if we live in a place that is closer! I'll be thrilled to make the move you are making. CONGRATS!!! And good luck (sincerely, not sarcastically!) figuring out the new schedule and routines. Yes, you can do it!

Out of curiousity, can you get good household help there? Good nannies?

Jessica said... [Reply]

Congrats on the job! This seems like the perfect fit. Interesting work AND flexible. Not to mention the chance to have lunch with the hubby every once in awhile. Good luck and enjoy! Human rights and China -- you won't be busy at all...

Z. Marie said... [Reply]

I found my embassy job (part-time CLO) was far more draining than any of my full-time, real-life newspaper ones ever were. But I haven't ruled out doing it again some day.

Donna said... [Reply]

GutsyWriter - I applied; I'm looking forward to it, but yikes - it's a lotta work.

Connie, you're right - if you live too far from the Embassy, it just isn't worth it. We have great, inexpensive childcare here, which means if I'm going to work, I have to do it while we're overseas.

Erin G said... [Reply]

congrats. I work and raise a kid. and my company lets me work from home. some people would call this "ideal."

please don't ask how my kid is turning out though. or how well I do my job. :)

you can do it, and what a cool opportunity!

globalgal said... [Reply]

Just wanted to give you a shout out over your mention in the Wall Street Journal! Nice! http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123926101221104491.html?mod=article-outset-box

Erin G said... [Reply]

cool article! you and your hubby look so cute!

Please. Write your own stuff.