Thursday, April 9, 2009

Around the World in 80 Clicks

I opened my Google Reader during a much needed break to find that I’d been tagged not once, but twice. Mothergoosemouse and Connie both tagged me for Around the World in 80 Clicks. I’m supposed to share 5 things I love about being a mother.

But today, I’m struggling to come up with 5 things. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I do love being a mother. And I wouldn’t trade this crazy life of mine for anything. But 5 specific things I love? In a week when I’ve been bitten by an infant and thrown up on by a 9-year-old, when I either have a nasty cold or a horrible allergy, when I’ve been too busy to breathe, it’s really hard to think of 5 concrete examples of why I love this life of mine.

So I turned to the resident expert. I explained to Shay that I had some work to do, and told him I was trying to think of these 5 wonderful things about motherhood. “That’s easy,” he said, without missing a beat. “I know EXACTLY what you’re going to say.”

So here they are, Shay’s top THREE reasons I love being a mother. (He could only think of 3 before I sent him to bed – clearly the kid was stalling for time.)

First, says Shay, “you really like it when you go to meet the school bus, and your kids get off the bus and they are angry and yelling.” I do? Why is that? Because, he explains, that means you’re doing a good job. If your kids were always smiling and cheerful and saying “please” and “thank you,” he says, they just wouldn’t be normal kids. So if they are rude and yell at you sometimes, it means they’re normal. Which means you’re doing a good job. Which means you’re happy. Voila.

Second, says Shay, “You really like being a mom because sometimes you get to see your kids instead of your friends.” Go on, say I, somewhat skeptically. Well, he says, if there were no kids around, you would only get to hang out with your friends. But since you have all of these kids, you get to hang around with them, too. And that makes you happy! See?

Lastly, says Shay, “You get to see what you were maybe like as a kid.” In other words, when you see the things your kids do, it’s like looking into a little backwards mirror and getting to see what you used to be like.

There you have it. Shay’s Top 3 Reasons I Love Being A Mother, coming at you live from Beijing, China.

I love the way those little minds work. And I love being a mother. Even on those days when I can’t think of a single reason to love it, I love it anyway. I love them anyway. Oh, how I do.

I’m supposed to tag 5 more people. But maybe I should stick with 3 since it seems to be working for me. I’d like to hear from Jill (currently posted to India but actually hanging at a Starbucks in California), Tressa at American in Norway, and Candid Carrie (U.S.ofA.).

5 comments:

mothergoosemouse said... [Reply]

I love it! What a great exercise. I may give it a try with Tacy and CJ, in fact.

And I agree with Shay. Normal kids are a key indicator of success.

Connie said... [Reply]

What a beautiful interview!! Shay is a wise child :-) Now, while I agree that he was very likely stalling for time and you were right to send him on his way, aren't you the least bit curious what his next two proofs may have been? :)

Candid Carrie said... [Reply]

Donna,

Here's hoping I represented America appropriately.

;)

http://carriestuckmann.blogspot.com/2009/04/friday-foto-finish-fiesta-five-reasons.html

American in Norway said... [Reply]

Love it! I am thinking of my own reasons...
I will do it this evening when I can pick my little ones minds...(it will keep me busy) : )

Jill said... [Reply]

Awe thanks Donna - you're really going to make me think about 5 things that I love about being a mom??? I'm struggling at the moment as I'm acting as a "single" mom with virtually no reprieve.

Please. Write your own stuff.