Sunday, March 22, 2009

When the Husband’s Away, the Mice Will… Make a Mess

Bart is on a business trip. Yesterday he was at a shooting range in Thailand; tomorrow he gives a big speech to security types in Hong Kong. Sound cool? Oh, maybe – but not in comparison with my job.

Today I made pancakes for the kiddies (whole wheat flax seed chocolate chip, if you must know). Then we played a rousing game of wii bowling, followed by a bit of wii golf.

Next we all got dressed and walked over to the hair salon, where Aidan and Kyra got washed and cut, for the low, low price of $7 each. Ainsley slept in her stroller at the salon while the hair cutting folks admired her. Unfortunately, they admired her so much that they couldn’t stop touching her. A head pat led to a hand grasp led to a “what the heck, let’s just pull off her blankie and check out her toes!” Strangely enough, she didn’t sleep long. And when she woke up crying (I wonder why?), they gave her a lollipop.

From there we went to Jenny Lou’s to pick up a few items for school lunches and check out the toy store. By the way, one of my readers used to live here, and awhile back she mentioned that the Jenny Lou’s employees sleep in the store at night; if you look up above the produce, you’ll see the mattresses stashed there. I happened to mention this to my friend Jen when we were in the store together last week, and I surreptitiously pointed them out. Sure enough, within minutes, the mattresses were removed, never to return. And you thought I was exaggerating when I said we’re always being watched!

From there, we made a quick stop at Starbucks to get sugared up (sorry, Jill, but you’ll be back in the land of Starbucks soon enough!). Then back to the playground to run off the sugar.

Are you exhausted yet? Me too. But soon enough it was time to head home for lunch, and I put the kids in charge. Aidan and Kyra washed veggies while Shay put cheese on bread for the sandwiches. Then I toasted the sandwiches while Aidan and Shay chopped veggies (yikes) and Kyra sprinkled pepper on the cucumber slices.

Everyone carried the plates to the table and ketchuped their own sandwiches (look at me, inventing verbs). Then the boys stacked their plates in the dishwasher and took off out the door to meet up with friends in their secret hideout. If I were a good mom, I’d know just where that hideout is, but alas…

Time for a nap for Kyra and a bottle for Ainsley. Then Ainsley fell gloriously to sleep. Both girls asleep at once? Isn’t that one of the signs of the apocalypse? I put Ainsley in her crib and came downstairs to survey the damage: pepper and cucumber bits on the floor, ketchup drippings on the table, a board game half completed, bottles waiting to be cleaned… the list goes on.

Yet here I am, writing about it instead of cleaning it up.

Hey, my husband’s in Hong Kong – he’ll never see the mess. And the kids don’t care.

And speaking of being watched all the time… for awhile this morning, we were at the indoor playground, which has a climbing wall on one side. For the first time, Shay and Aidan climbed all the way to the top, where they peered through a tiny window. “Hey, mom,” said Shay, “did you know on the other side on this window there’s a room full of people and computers?”

No, son, no I did not know.

I should have asked him if there were any mattresses stacked in there. Anyone want to bet on whether that window is covered over tomorrow?

4 comments:

Jill said... [Reply]

Ok... just rub in the Starbucks visit why don't you!! However - just 8 days from RIGHT NOW, we'll be landing in LAX and I'll be asking to head straight to a Starbucks to pick up a little drinky drink for me - and some croissants for the ladies.

As for the messes... we can so relate - especially the ketchup mess. It's a staple in our house!

So your hubby is in Thailand for shooting - Matt was supposed to go next Friday, but due to our departure, put it off for a few more weeks. Small world! :)

Simple Answer said... [Reply]

Hmm. Add in wet vac-ing dog throw-up and a bloody nose, and I think I've had that day while the hubby was away. Except for the two girls napping at the same time. I'm pretty certain nothing that good ever EVER ever happened to me!

Connie said... [Reply]

I want a wet-vac, and a carpet cleaner (a big one)! Messy food tastes better, and I believe a mess-filled life is more fun too.

Donna said... [Reply]

@ Simple Answer - You cursed me, I swear it. I'd only just hit "post," when my son tumbled off a slide at the playground and started a massive nosebleed. Oh, and that very evening he started vomiting. Thanks. Thanks a whole lot. Keep it up, and I might have to ban you from my blog...

Please. Write your own stuff.