Monday, December 15, 2008

Thailand, Here We Come...

So we're doing it. After many fits and starts and near disasters, we are apparently getting on a plane, Thailand-bound, on Wednesday morning. The family members who were supposed to meet us there won't be able to, but it looks like we're going anyway... if we can find the swimsuits and floaties and sunblock and suitcases and passports and... you get the idea.

Lots to report but little time to do it. And so many strange moments have come and gone this week, but I've had no camera to record them. Like, for example, this morning's trip to the car wash. It is so cold that the water freezes on the ground of the car wash, but the men and women who work there just slide around on the ice, washing cars all day long without so much as a lip chatter. Good times!

And there was yesterday's trek to the Chinese Catholic Cathedral. An odd experience: exactly the same, and yet completely different. Stations of the cross with Chinese captions, for example. I tried to take it all in so I could report back, but you know how it is: four kids + one church service = mom too frazzled to look around.

We'll be back on the 28th, and hopefully the clean air and sunshine will cure us all of our nasty Beijing coughs. I doubt we'll have internet access, so don't expect much from me until then. In case I don't manage to post between now and then, I'll take this opportunity to wish you all the merriest of holidays. I hope you all get everything you want this Christmas. As for me? I already have everything I could possibly want.

5 comments:

Cathy said... [Reply]

Awesome! I'm so jealous--I love, love Thailand. Have a great trip.

Simple Answer said... [Reply]

Merry, Merry! Be safe and enjoy!

Jessica said... [Reply]

Good luck getting there (and getting back!) I'm sorry the rest of your family can't make it. Have a nice fruity drink for me and enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas!

Erin G said... [Reply]

have fun in thailand! just wanted to say that I loved your most recent article at beijing kids, our family has a long tradition of ornaments-with-memories too! (especially vacations.) I love expat blogs (beijing kids is how I found you) but I don't have an account at that site so I thought I would leave my comment here. :)

GutsyWriter said... [Reply]

I thought you meant you were being relocated to Thailand. Have a great time.

Please. Write your own stuff.