Sunday, November 9, 2008

Did You Miss Me?

I told you I'd be out of touch for awhile. But I've just sent off the second of three articles I aimed to get done by today; the third I can finish tomorrow. The third is "on spec" anyway - that means the magazine has asked to see my revisions, but they haven't guaranteed they'll buy the finished project. Hate that! But it's a magazine I've long wanted to get into, not for the money, which wouldn't be great, but for the prestige. So we'll see. The first two stories are already sold, so of course they had my attention first.

We went to the Marine Corps Ball last night. I went to my first ball back in 1999, in Moscow. They have a traditional opening ceremony - my favorite part is when they present a slice of cake to the oldest marine present and then to the youngest. The oldest - you'll see her here - was born in 1922. The youngest was born the year I graduated from high school. The gentleman standing with them is the current U.S. Ambassador to China.





And there we are - such a cute couple, aren't we?



We were out until 1 a.m., and I still got up at 3 a.m. to feed Ainsley. So I'm exhausted. Good night; more from me later.

8 comments:

Jill said... [Reply]

You guys look great! I too love the opening ceremony, though the youngest Marine makes me feel a tad old.

We're at our first post w/o Marines - hence, no ball. We're talking about going up to Delhi next year to attend theirs...

Connie said... [Reply]

You guys look wonderful. I haven't attended a military ball since I left active duty Army service. Guess I got burnt out from too many 'mandatory performances'... I got an earful from a friend of mine here for refusing to go this year, again ... ah well, maybe one day I'll get over this and attend one!

Congrats on your articles!!

PunditMom said... [Reply]

Thanks for coming by my place. I am envious of your time in China -- our daughter, PunditGirl, was adopted form there and we're hoping to make our first trip back to China with her in July!

Cathy said... [Reply]

Welcome back! Great photo of you and your husband!

Jacki said... [Reply]

I am visiting your blog via another. Gutsy Writer, and I look forward to reading your blog. I love reading about other people's adventures around the world.

GutsyWriter said... [Reply]

You are a very cute couple. No wonder your children look adorable. So I attended a writers' retreat in San Diego last weekend with 12 other writers. I wish I had just one thing published, to boost my confidence, but with blogging, and rewriting and trying to learn about book promoting, studying magazine guidelines and sending out queries hasn't entered the picture yet. I'd love it if you had a posting on how and when you started publishing.

Shannon said... [Reply]

As far as I'm concerned getting to play dress up and go to the ball is one of the perks of the FS. You look lovely!

The youngest Marine at the ball in Frankfurt was born the year after I graduated high school and is younger than a few of my nieces and nephews. Felt completely ancient but had a blast anyway!

vabna islam said... [Reply]

Excellent post!!! I have learnt many things form here. I have also website where you can ivsit and pass your leasure time. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. To get more information, visit here……………
miss you

Please. Write your own stuff.