Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More Melamine

It seems that authorities in Hong Kong have now discovered melamine in Chinese eggs.

If you were paying attention, you would've heard about the scandal some weeks back when Chinese babies started dying because someone got the idea of diluting cow's milk with water, and then adding the industrial chemical melamine to the mixture in order to make it appear normal. At least four babies died; thousands more became extremely ill after drinking tainted formula. Babies and children all across China had to go to the hospital for testing. My own kids escaped relatively unscathed: we drink imported milk. But I did have to toss the yogurt, and I've switched to a more expensive organic brand.

Now comes the news that the eggs have tested positive. But no one's sure how the melamine got into the eggs. The guess right now is that melamine was fed to the chickens. Which means the chickens are poisonous, too. And perhaps the rest of the meat supply as well.

My head is spinning. There's no way out of this net, no way at all. Kids have to eat. We live in China, which means they have to eat Chinese products. Ainsley's coming up on her 6-month birthday, so it's time to introduce solids. With the other kids, I was eager to get started, but now? I'm afraid to feed her something that later turns out to have been harmful.

I could buy imported baby food, but at $2 a jar, that seems sort of crazy. I wonder: if I blend up the local fruits and veggies for her, will it be safe? Do I even have a choice?

There are so many things to worry about right now in the great wide world. I don't think I can handle any more just yet.

4 comments:

Jill said... [Reply]

Oh that just sounds horrible!! I really hope that you're able find a safe way to get through this... and that nobody gets sick... ever!

Connie said... [Reply]

oh my! Do you have APO privilege? Can you order jar food from Netgrocer.com? Too scary!

Shannon said... [Reply]

Every time there is something on the news about the melamine problems I think of y'all. Terrifying!

Candid Carrie said... [Reply]

I don't mean to be so naive, but can I send you our baby food?

This is just crazy and difficult to wrap my mind around this topic.

Sorry to be so naive, but if I can help in any way let me know.

Please. Write your own stuff.