Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Your Mama is So Fat.... And Other Deaf Jokes

Remember those old "your mama" jokes? I guess it's always amusing to make fun of someone else's mama. I mention this because today Shay came home very upset. Apparently, one of his friends got angry with him when he didn't answer the friend right away, so aforementioned friend shouted at him "What, are you deaf? You're deaf, just like your MOM!"

Shay ran right home, very upset at having his mother so cruelly insulted, and he wanted me to go kick the kid's face in. But the thing of it is, well, I AM deaf. I'm sure you all remember that particular little trauma; I know I do, and apparently this kid knows all about it, too.

So I told Shay that I appreciated his concern for me, but that I was okay with the whole deaf thing. Next time the kid says something, I told him, just say "that's not nice" and walk away.

Was that the right advice to give him? Or should I go kick the kid's face in? What do you think?

And, while we're on the topic, several of you have asked me if I've gotten any hearing back lately, maybe thinking it would come back after the baby popped out? The answer is, no. I'm still completely deaf in my right ear, and I'm told I always will be unless I have surgery to put in cochlear implants. Meanwhile, if anything, the situation has gotten worse, because I have a baby crying into that ear all day long, which makes the buzzing from the tinnitus that much worse.

For the most part, however, I'm used to it. I don't think about it that much, except when I have a kid screaming in my other ear.

3 comments:

Simple Answer said... [Reply]

I hadn't read your blog far enough back to know all this. Hmm. Kick his face in? If I were any closer I'd volunteer to take the kid in a back alley and impress on him that picking his words wisely would serve him better. But I suffer from the belief that we can discipline other's children. I know this is errant thinking but I can't deal with cruelty.

At this point, does it look like the ringing is permanent?

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said... [Reply]

Oh man kids can be cruel. Sorry about the whole hearing loss thing. I'm impaired in one ear, but not deaf and don't have ringing (thank goodness.)

TulipGirl said... [Reply]

Just read your Newsweek article about your sudden deafness. I have "cookie bite" hearing loss which (genetic), I assume, came on gradually through the years. But, it's bilateral and hearing aids are amazing for me. I can't imagine profound deafness in one ear. With kids. Yikes. Life changed so much (for the better) with my kids when I was diagnosed last year and got my HAs.

Please. Write your own stuff.