Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Treading Water

When it rains, it pours. Literally and figuratively.

Apparently, here in Beijing in the summertime, we are destined to have thunderstorms most every evening. Many of these are serious, get-away-from-the-windows type storms. We had several scary ones in the past week.

Trouble is, they don't seem to clear up the air. It's hot and humid and the sky is mostly grey-brown. The humidity, one friend from Texas reports, is "worse than Texas in the summertime." Yikes.

Breathing in all this nasty air was making me feel sick, with scratchy throat and itchy eyes.

Then, I actually got sick. Which is really not acceptable for a nursing mom. I mean, how much more can I push myself? But it's true. I have the whole sore throat, cough, stuffed nose, miserable outlook on life thing going on. To make things worse, Ainsley has the same thing. She's actually getting better faster than I, but she still has more trouble than usual sleeping at night. Which means I don't sleep, either. Really, no fun at all.

And, as I said, when it rains, it pours. So I've just been contacted by two editors who've read my stuff and want me to write some Beijing things for them. Great news, I said. I'll do it, I said. Cough, hack, wheeze, I said. And by the way, I asked, when are these stories due?

And that is how I found myself with 2 short articles due next week and 2 or 3 more due several weeks down the line.

And yet, here I am, writing to the likes of you. I am a devoted friend, that's for sure. Either that or I'm procrastinating.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have another diaper to change.

Life is good.

2 comments:

farmgate said... [Reply]

Donna - as the doctor says, plenty of rest, lots of fluids, etc etc. Maybe all that Texas-like heat is making everyone dehydrated and exhausted. Hope things turn around soon.

Have really enjoyed reading your blog over the past year. My family and I are pulling up stakes and moving to Beijing in August and thanks to you, I know what to expect.

Donna said... [Reply]

Thanks, Farmgate. You mean I haven't scared you off yet? If you have actual questions for actual other Beijingers, you should check out tbjkids.com/forum - you can get your questions asked and answered before you get here.

Ummmm... hey, did anyone notice that I'm commenting on my own blog, when I just told you I can't do that? For some reason, the Chinese have been unblocking my blogspot recently. Don't know why, but I'm checking out all the blogs I can while it lasts....

Please. Write your own stuff.