Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Veteran's Day

The Embassy was closed today. Which means Bart should have had a three day weekend, except that he was called into work on Saturday. He was planning to take Tuesday off so we could go out together, but after his illness last week, he decided he couldn't take any more time off. So we decided to go out together today instead. I just had to do an interview down the street at ten a.m., then we'd leave the kids with Xiao Tong and head into town.

That was the plan, anyway.

I was wrapping up my interview when the doorbell rang. It was Bart, telling me I had to come home NOW because Aidan needed to go to the hospital for stitches.

Yep. Turns out he and Shay were golfing together at the playground when Aidan got too close and got whacked just under the ear with a club ( a seven iron, if you must know). We took him to the clinic down the road, where they gave him three big stitches. And either the painkillers didn't take, or he was being a bit overdramatic, because he screamed his head off the whole time. Poor little guy. It's the third time he's had stitches so far in his short little life, but it was the worst by far.

While we were waiting for the doctor to stitch him up, he was sitting in my lap, crying a little, and I told him if he could be very, very brave, I'd buy him a cocoa afterwards.

"I don't want cocoa," he sniffled piteously. Then he paused and added "I want cocoa AND a new toy."

Give him credit. He knows how to work it.

So my romantic day out with my husband was not meant to be. Maybe next Veteran's Day...

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.