Thursday, October 18, 2007

Still Deaf

For those of you who've been wondering: I'm still deaf.

And as far as I know, I'm done with my treatment options. The shots in the ear didn't work, so it looks likely that the deafness is here to stay.

I think I need to stop blogging about it soon. After all, there are only so many posts I can title "Still Deaf" before you all start wishing I'd lose my typing fingers, too.

So now it's time to move on and learn to live with being deaf, instead of whining about it. Here's the good news about being deaf:

When the kids start whining for the fourteenth time, I can sit them down and patiently explain "kids, I'm deaf. The doctor says that means I can't hear it when people whine. So you'll have to say it again in a normal voice."

Also, when my husband calls me from another room, but I'm sitting in a chair happily reading a cheesy magazine and eating potato chips, I can just pretend I didn't hear him call me and keep right on reading.

Perhaps I can blame my inability to speak Chinese on my ears. After all, if you can't hear it, you can't pronounce it, right? So no one can blame me for not learning the darn language.

It should make it easier to tune out those annoying political ads when I'm back in the States.

And of course, I can just start ignoring boring people and pretend I can't hear them.

Anyone out there have any other things they want to add to my List of Things That Are Good About Being Deaf?

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.