Friday, June 8, 2007

For Rent

The property manager came yesterday and planted a “For Rent” sign in the front yard. It’s out there now, looking somewhat forlorn.

Our rental ad is on Craig’s List, pictures and all. I checked it out myself. Strange to see pictures of my house – and by the way, couldn’t they have let me move that huge pile of papers off the counter before they took the picture of the kitchen? Anyway, my hope is that the house will rent quickly, as it really will be a chore to keep it neat at all times in case someone wants to check it out.

I was feeling pretty good about myself for getting the massive reams of paperwork filled out so the property manager could start searching for a tenant. Then I started comparing notes with other friends who are heading out this summer. Seems half of them have already found tenants. So I’ve gone from feeling uber-organized to woefully incompetent.

It’s okay, though. The house might not be rented, but other things are finished. We’ve arranged to ship the car. We have pack out dates. We’ve reserved a hotel room. We’ve scheduled a whole-house clean. I’ve sent out the going away invites for the boys. And I’ve purchased 5 huge jugs of peanut butter from Costco – that ought to last my boys at least 2 months over there.

I have to wonder what prospective tenants will think as they tour our little house. When they look in the storage room, they’ll see those jars of peanut butter, right next to the jugs of laundry detergent, the stack of brand new toilet brushes, the boxes of baby wipes and a crate of chocolate syrup. I imagine they’ll think we’re a strange family, indeed.

0 comments:

Please. Write your own stuff.